A few hours of support for essential workers = Many days of services so we can shelter at home
UPDATE: About 50 people attended for a candle-light vigil. Bezos’ s mansion has the highest hedge I have ever seen, about four stories high.
PRIME DAY! OCTOBER 13, 2020 6pm to 8pm
CANDLELIGHT VIGIL AT THE BEZOS MANSION
1801 Angelo Drive, Beverly Hills, 90210
• Support the workers’ demand for safe PPE and a rank and file safety committee.
Amazon workers will be participating with facial covering to avoid retaliation.
“Even if Jeff Bezos gave $170,000 to every employee in Amazon he would still have the same wealth as before the pandemic. This is the extent to which he has profited from this historically tragic moment.
“Amazon workers are essential! Our lifeline to the basic things we need, yet they continue to put their health, and the health of loved ones they go home to every night at risk. We must stand in solidarity with them.”
- Adam Diaz, Warehouse Workers Resource Center http://www.warehouseworkers.org ( non-profit funded by private liberal charities like Liberty Hill)
AMAZON’S COVID NUMBERS
19,816 have tested positive for Covid-19. (does not include any 3rd party deliverers or contractors)
• Hawthorne Distribution Center, 2815 W. El Segundo = 42 cases. Includes first confirm death due to Covid-19.
• Eastvale Fulfillment Center, 4950 Goodman Road, Eastvale (San Bernardino County), CA= 55 cases.
Source: directly from workers inside.
• Amazon under investigation from CA Attorney General for unsafe practices during pandemic
- “Andy”-Amazon worker from Hawthorne distribution center. – “Please join us at our CEO’s mansion to demand PPE’s, a rank and file safety committee, paid sick days off.”
- Chris Smalls- fired Amazon worker. “Amazon smears Smalls with racist anti-union campaign”-The Real News. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQiTliRxig
- Non-union Somali Amazon workers on one day strike in Minnesota.
- Adam Diaz, Director, Warehouse Workers Resource Center, PANA member
Amazon workers’ demographics for the US (50 states)
Total workers (July 2020) Approx. 1 million in USA. Amazon Net income – $225 billion, 2019.
65% – Non-White, 34.7% White
15.4% Asian – 154,000 API workers with a majority of them in California & Hawai’i.
3.6% 2 or more races
1.3% Native indigenous
53% male, 47% female
The Big Picture: How does Bezos make so much? While Amazon and all workers and community in the US must unite, it is our job in the US to educate and build solidarity with Amazon workers in the global south upon whose exploitation the Amazon empire and US Imperialism depends. Broad public exposure of inhumane conditions and pay makes it difficult for Amazon to “divide” US workers and consumers with “better” benefits (relative to the global south) and American racism about “immigrant” and or “foreign workers” threatening American jobs.
1.Philippines: Amazon-Product Research worker- $1.31 per hour Investigations are ongoing for allegations of “inhumane” treatment of workers forced to lock-down inside work facilities and sleep on floors due to the pandemic.
2. Hengyang, China: Amazon contractor Foxxconn assembler – $2.14 per hour
3. San Bernardino, CA: Fullfillment Center – $15.00 per hour entry level
4. Seattle, WA: Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO – $13 million per hour
Since the Covid-19 pandemic began PANA has supported the non-union Amazon workers through the Warehouse Workers Resource Center and we have supported nurses who have been fighting for adequate PPE and safe patient care procedures through the CA Nurses Association, AFL-CIO, at Kaiser Sunset and at St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica.
• Healthcare workers, in particular nurses, have some of the highest death rates battling the pandemic as “essential” workers, like the Amazon workers. Both have been very visible in LA and the nation in their fights.
• Healthcare workers have one of the highest concentrations of API workers. In CA, about a quarter of all RNs are API, the majority Filipino/a.
• Amazon workers nationwide include about 154,000 Asian/Pacific Islander workers, with a significant number in CA, all non-union.
PANA: Peace, Justice & Equality for the 99%